Chapter 9
Main Landing Gear,
 Speed Break
 

1/1/01


The reinforcing layups on the LGBH's were some of the most complex I've attempted so far. (See pics in Chapter 8 Page.) What with having to cut darts and the like to get the glass to lay down properly. I'm having alot of luck making them on 4 mil plastic, cutting them to the proper shape, transferring them to to surface to be glassed, squeegeeing as much air as possible out, then removing the plastic. It really makes it easy to apply the glass without distorting the fibers.(Which, by the way, has been the hardest part of the fiberglassing process sofar.)

Here I am sanding the "bump"off the trailing edge with the tool I originally made for the fuselage exterior.

Here's what the  LG lookes like sanded dull and supported on the nails...ready for glassing.

I chose to use 3/8" vinyl tubing instead of straws from the local "Burger Doodle". I tacked it to the Landing Gear with 5min. epoxy. I decided to try a different method for constructing the brakeline fairings. I went to the Depot, and got some vinyl baseboard material, and used it as a guide in place of the aluminum tape mentioned in the plans. Worked pretty well.

Front view of the micro setting up during the trailing edge fabrication. I found this method worked very well. I ended up with a very smooth finished line for the second 4-ply lay-up.

Setting up for the "Geometric Exercise of Futility". This part of the project was very detail oriented. Had to make sure all of the orthagonal rules were followed to a tee. It paid off in the long run. To avoid squeezing too much epoxy from the tab layups, I made 2 or three wooden spacers for each tab the width shown on the plans. Worked pretty good! It's also very important to ensure the tabs don't become skewed... another good reason to use the spacer method I used.

Second tab layups curing. I ended up using more glass than the plans picture. I know, it adds weight, but I'd rather be a little heavy in this area than a little light.


Right: Checking, double checking, and triple checking the main gear sweep. Smart Level to the rescue....Again.
Below:Outside tabs complete.

Here's a shot of the STBD forward MG-2 with the bushing and LG bolt in place.

I pretty much followed the plans for the LG fabrication. I was able to make my own MG-1's and 2's with a drill press, 100deg. countersink bit from Wicks, and the Bosch sabre saw. At this point, I must say this was the most worrisome part of the project so far. I kept visualizing my first attempt at fitting the gear in the fuselage... and the holes don't line up! I truly was at the crossroad of jubillation if they lined up, or just cutting up the fuselage and start  working on cars as a hobby if they didn't.

I don't know how, but the holes lined up perfectly, and the gear bolts slid into place by hand. HALLELUJIA!!!  So I guess I'll just have to continue on trying to get into the air.

Installing Axles/Wheels

I used the same method as Wayne Hicks to drill the axle holes and alignment. MUCH easier than to clamp boards and what-not.

Drill the four holes for the axle.
Wrap the gear leg in 3 layers BID, a dab of flox in the center wouldn't hurt either.
Wrap the axle in box tape, wax the bolts.
Bolt the axle on loosely and tighten to proper alignment.

Not sure what Wayne used as his bed for alignment, but, as you see above, I used the castle nut screwed onto the axle to rest the laser onto. Very repeatable.

I hope I got it right. If it isn't... It sure will look cool

doing a slip down the runway BEFORE lifting off!

Here you see the installed assembly.

As soon as Jack Wilhelmson gets me that nose-lift actuator,

I'll be having an On The Gear Party!!!

Above, a couple of shots of me sighting in the axles. It was kind of tough, in that I had to deal with only 0.6" toe-in measurement due to the short distance to the wall. With the laser, exact measurements were MUCH easier than using the sight-tube method described in the plans. If you look closely, inthe right picture, you can barely make out the laser dot in the darkened shop.

This section turned out to be another "learning experience" (I'm really getting sick of learning.). I made the Landing Brake following the steps in the plans. Bondoing the straight edges to the outer aspect and everything. But when I got done... things just didn't line up. Blame me. Blame the wind, sun or stars.. but the forward edge of the brake was lower than the rest of the assembly.. resulting in major misalignment of the holes to attach the assembly to the fuselage. So. I decided to remake the brake in a kind of backwards than plans method. Which means I made the outer skin first, the microed the foam to it, the BID'd the inboard aspect according to plans. Worked OK, as you see below, but you may notice the LB19 is a bit wider than the plans.... So kill me.. I have my reasons.

As you can see, I used urethane to make the curves in the fuselage. Tomorrow, I'll glass over the scoop, then the rest.

I used varying lengths of foam to spring load the vinyl baseboard trim to give me nice sharp corners in the NACA scoop. Worked pretty well. Next, I'll make the flox corners and layup the rest of the cover.

Here's how I dealt with the Brake Line heat issue. The SS braided hose came from Summit Racing. Part# EAR-63010110ERL.

As you can see, the Nyloseal exposure is extremely limited.

Hope it works!!!

PREV   HOME   NEXTChapter_8_Headrests,_Seatbelt,_Heat_Duct.htmlChapter_10_Canard_Construction.htmlshapeimage_2_link_0shapeimage_2_link_1shapeimage_2_link_2